Requesting Fit Note

If you’re off work sick for 7 days or less, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you’ve been ill. Instead they can ask you to confirm that you’ve been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

However if you ‘re off work sick for more than 7 days, your empolyer will usually ask for a fit note from a GP or hospital doctor.

If this is your first fit note, please call the surgery to arrange an appointment with a clinician to discuss your illness. They will issue a fit note if required. Once this runs out and if you require another, please call reception who will put the request through to the doctor.